- ★ ミシュラングリーンガイド 一ツ星
According to theYamashiro-no-kuni fudoki, Tamayorihime-no-Mikoto was playing in the Kamo River when a red arrow flowed down from upstream. She became pregnant after placing the arrow on her bed, and gave birth to Kamowakeikazuchi-no-Mikoto. It is said that the Kamoagatanushi clan enshrined this. It is also said that the true identity of the red arrow was Honoikazuchi no Kami, of Otokuni-jinja Shrine or Oyamakui-no-kami, and Tamayorihime-no-Mikoto and her father Kamotaketsunumi-no-mikoto are enshrined within Shimogamo-jinja Shrine. According to historical record, there is first mention of equestrian archery being forbidden on the day of the Kamo Festival, March 21st, 698 A.D. (the second year of Emperor Mommu’s reign). In 750 A.D. (the second year of the Tenpyo-Shouhou era), a field of approximately 2.5 acres was donated, and it is indicated that the shrine received special favor from the Imperial Court. Along with Ise Shrine, it was revered as a shrine for protecting the Imperial Palace after the Heian capital relocation, granted the highest possible status of shoichii (Senior First Rank), and the Kamo Festival was held by imperial order. Starting in 810 A.D. (the first year of the Kounin era), imperial princesses trained with saigu (princesses serving at Ise Shrine) to become saiin (princesses who serve at Kamo Shrine), and were saiou (priestesses) at the shrine for around 400 years. Even during the Meiji period integrated system of shrine ranking, it was the first of the Kampei Taisha (Great Imperial Shrines), and became a Chokusaisha (a shrine attended by imperial delegates) in 1883 (the 16th year of the Meiji period).
Faithfully continuing ancient shrine architecture style
Kamigamo Shrine, together with Shimogamo Shrine (known collectively as Kamo-jinjya) is famous for the Aoi Festival.
The grounds of the shrine are large and lush green, and from the first torii to the second there are annual rituals such as horse racing, held on an open lawn in prayer for an abundant harvest.
The honden (main shrine) and gonden (reserve shrine) are national treasures, 34 other buildings are Important Cultural Properties, and the grounds have been designated as a Historic Site.
The current honden and gonden were reconstructed in 1863 (the second year of the Bunkyuu era), both with a measurement of 3 ken by 2 ken (approximately 6 by 4 meters), with pent roofs in the nagare-zukuri (streamlined) style arranged to line up east to west. However, the ancient law of this style is often pointed out in regards to the fact that they lengthen the flow of the surface.
Michelin Green Guide
Kamigamo Shrine has a one star rating.
- Other Names
- Kamo-wakeikazuchi Shrine
- 339 Kamigamo Motoyama, Kyoto-shi Kita-ku Kyoto Prefecture, 603-8047
- Formal Name
- Kamo-wakeikazuchi-jinjya Shrine
- Date Founded
- 678（the seventh year of Emperor Temmu’s reign
- Cultural Properties
Honden, Gonden（National Treasures）
Hallway connecting the Honden and the Gonden, Hallway connecting the Honden and the Eastern Watariro, Karamon Gate, Roumon Gate, Kamo-wakeikazuchi Shrine Scrolls, etc ( Important Cultural Properties)
Shrine Grounds（Historical Landmark）
Kami Shrine Yasurai Festival（Intangible Cultural Asset）
- Annual Festival
- May 15th（Kamo Festival/Aoi Festival）
Protection against evil spirits, disasters, and calamities related to direction
Available（170 spaces, fee required）
- Access Guide
Subway: After getting off at Kitaoji or Kitayama Station, appr. 5 min by taxi
- Official Website